Friday, July 27, 2012

Kathy & Taurus "Getting to Know Each Other"


My newest partner, Taurus!!

I am excited to get to know my new horse partner Taurus! He is a 6 year old Fresian from Florida and found his way to me due to his size and a less then ideal first 60 days under saddle. I am really looking forward to developing a relationship with him and he may become my new demo horse that travels on the road to clinics, etc.
He is extremely people friendly, and curious about people and their 'toys'! He is eager to learn and loves it when I pick him to play with!
At the moment I am getting to know him on the ground only :-), and John has agreed to put the first 30 or so hours on him while I focus on keeping myself and our new (not yet arrived) baby cool and healthy during this very warm summer!! Here is a picture of Taurus with his first session under saddle on our farm. . .
To begin with he was a little concerned with the motion behind his drive line, but by the end of the ground and riding session, he was looking lovely and relaxed . . .


Thank you John for your help, and I can't wait to watch as he continues to progress!!

What I have been focusing on after our first sessions together:
*Improving Taurus' confidence with things 'switching eyes', particularly in zone 5
*Higher energy friendly games
*Approach and retreat with canter
So far Taurus has made great improvements and is now able to accept the stick and string over his back with relaxation (nice low head, and soft eyes). He has also started to learn to pick up the right lead in front and behind (to start with the right lead was often a counter canter), and he is starting to read my body language and energy so that he knows if we are playing friendly game or driving game.

I'll keep you updated with his progress and look forward to learning more about him!
-Kathy Baar

No comments:

Post a Comment